Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hurting for the Chapman Family

Photo by Tucker Photography, Inc.

Steven and beautiful Maria


I am heartsick and overwhelmed with grief as I try to soak up the reality that, earlier today, Steven and Mary Beth Chapman lost their youngest daughter, Maria, in a tragic accident at their home. I can not imagine the pain this family is going through. Please pray for this precious family.


Maria was one of three daughters that the Chapman's adopted from China. Steven and Mary Beth have made caring for orphans one of their life's missions and have encouraged and assisted many families in their pursuit of adoption.


Over the years, the truth Steven brings through the words of his songs has comforted, challenged, and encouraged me. I wish I had a song to give to the Chapmans that might give them even the smallest bit of comfort at this terribly difficult time.


Steven wrote the beautiful song With Hope for some friends who had lost a child. I cry every time I hear this song. Tonight I pray that the words God gave to Steven years ago would now bring peace that passes all understanding to him and his family.



With Hope

by Steven Curtis Chapman


This is not at all how

We thought it was supposed to be

We had so many plans for you

We had so many dreams

And now you've gone away

And left us with the memories of your smile

And nothing we can say

And nothing we can do

Can take away the pain

The pain of losing you, but ...


We can cry with hope

We can say goodbye with hope

'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh no

And we can grieve with hope

'Cause we believe with hope

There's a place by God's grace

There's a place where we'll see your face again

We'll see your face again


And never have I known

Anything so hard to understand

And never have I questioned more

The wisdom of God's plan

But through the cloud of tears

I see the Father smile and say well done

And I imagine you

Where you wanted most to be

Seeing all your dreams come true

'Cause now you're home

And now you're free, and ...


We can cry with hope

We can say goodbye with hope

'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end

We can grieve with hope

'Cause we believe with hope

There's a place by God's grace

There's a place where we'll see your face again


We have this hope as an anchor

'Cause we believe that everything God promised us is true, so ...


We wait with hope

And we ache with hope

We hold on with hope

We let go with hope

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Oh, Tracy, my heart is hurting for the Chapmans, too. Praying for all the many heart needs they're facing, and thanking God that because of Him, we don't grieve as those who have no hope. (((Tracy)))